Sunday, May 2, 2010

Watership Down

Author: Richard Adams
Plot Summary: Brothers Hazel and Fiver lead a band of rabbits out of their native Sandleford warren after Fiver has mysterious premonitions of its imminent destruction. They encounter many dangers and obstacles and must fight for the right to establish their new warren on Watership Down.
Review: I was at first daunted by the task of reading this book. It is included in a list of classics we can read for my English class and I thought I would have to force myself to finish it. This was not the case. I absolutely loved this book! I could barely force myself to put it down. True, the detailed descriptions of landscape sometimes confused me, but I found that if I read through them slowly it helped me understand the overall storyline better.
I argued with my science teacher over whether or not this book was an allegory. He insisted it was, but in the introduction it specifically says that he did not mean it as one. However, the author also mentioned that the characters were often taken from people he knew in his life, so those people could be representations of something else. I don't know. But, this book was amazing and everyone who can should read it!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'll always remember that this was the book Dad was reading when I met him (and one of the few he's read since I've known him.) I need to reread it again, now that you are done with it! Thanks for the review.

Amy said...

Hurray! I love it when you post on this blog. And I'm glad you liked Watership Down. I liked it too. When I told one of my friends that I was reading it they were like, "You are reading that? Isn't that too anti-government for you?" And I thought...isn't it just about bunnies?! Anyway, I liked it too. But don't watch the movie. It will give you nightmares:S

chorpler said...

What's nightmarish about the movie?

I've never read this book, but I wonder if something can be an allegory if the author doesn't intend it to be. I think it probably can. The author might be pulling from their own experiences and their subconscious and crafting something they don't reven realize could be a representation for something else.